The Cultural Council of the University of Delhi hosts cultural festivals and workshops. It also organizes Music concerts, theatre workshops and other cultural events. The Cultural Council also provides Financial Assistance for various cultural programmes in colleges. It also organizes Music and Theatre Festivals. It has been active in supporting many initiatives for improving the cultural atmosphere in the University.
The Cultural Council organized the following programmes in 2010-2011:
- Vande Matram - an Inter College Classical Dance and Group Song
- Interactive session/workshop/performances on Street Theatre.
- Inter College Extempore debate Tantra. The Cultural Council has been organizing this debate for the past 10 years.
- Inter College Ghazal Competition programme. The Cultural Council has been organizing this programme for the past nine years.
- Muavze – an acclaimed play of the eminent playwright Sh. Bhisham Sahni.
- Preliminaries of Inter College debate (in Hindi) for Indian Association of Parliamentarians on Population & Development to select speakers for the National level debate.
- Organized Inter University Photography exhibition. The theme was In Her Shoes based on Women Empowerment as well as the Essence of a woman.
- On the Spot Painting Competition on awareness regarding Voluntary Organ Donation.
- Three day Wire Sculpture Workshop.
- Kavi Sammelan at Ramanujan College.
- Parliamentary debate in collaboration with India-Sri Lanka Foundation. Students from University of Colombo participated in the debate – “In Tagore’s philosophy of education aesthetic development is as important as the intellectual.”
- Inter College Essay Writing Competition to celebrate the birth centenary of two eminent Hindi writers Agyeya and Nagarjuna.
- Supported Vasant Utsav a programme of Faculty of Music and Fine Arts.
- Rang Srijan : Inter College Painting Exhibition cum Competition.
- Two day Clay Modeling Workshop for students.
- Participated in 53rd Flower Show held on 25th February 2011 at the Mughal Garden, University of Delhi.
- Mushaira to promote poetry.
- Jashn-E-Faiz to celebrate Faiz Ahmed Faiz’s birth centenary.
The Cultural Council has been making an effort to revive some of the fading performing arts like Char-Bait and Qawwali by organizing such programmes from time to time.
The Cultural Council has also been bringing out a bilingual magazine Glimpse/Jhalak. There are creative inputs from both the teachers and students.
For the current year we have already made a cultural calendar in consultation with teacher members and student representatives to the Cultureocouncil in a meeting held on 9th August 2011. These include choreography, classical dance, various western dance forms, choir, drama, costumes and cuisine of India. Other creative programmes mentioned in the report will also continue. On 26th September 2011 The Cultural Council in collaboration with Shaheed Bhagat Singh College had organised an Inter College drama festival at Shri Ram Centre of Performing Arts at Mandi House. The Cultural Council has many forthcoming projects like creative writing workshop, photo exhibition, painting exhibition etc.
Dr. Suchitra Gupta,
Dy. Dean SW,
University of Delhi,
Delhi -110 007.
Phone:27667450, 27667725 x 1639 (EPABX)